Monday, January 13, 2014

Pixels and Princesses


 Yup, that pretty much sums up this upcoming weekend! Hold that thought and let me back up to explain a little...









So, after I finished that adorable pink ruffle cake (see December post) I had another client call me for her son's upcoming birthday in January. She gave me the date, rough head count and theme... wait for it... Minecraft. I must be getting too old, because the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "What the heck is Minecraft?" Lucky for me, she had something in mind and sent me a picture. If you are like me and don't know what I'm talking about, the best word to explain it is pixels. From what I have (roughly!) researched and gathered, it's a video game of sorts and everything is made up of square pixels.
I'm not even joking when I say I have no clue what the story line or the object of the game actually is. All I know is that I must do a pixel cake! Bring on the squares! Since this was posted, I have completed both cakes. The following is the half-way point of the pixel cake. In all my brilliant-ness and poor-picture-planning, I managed to miss getting a shot of the complete cake and the cupcakes. You would be surprised how often that occurs...





As if being completely clueless on one order isn't enough, I decided that this weekend would be a great weekend to throw my daughter's birthday party! I know, it's really my own fault. Haha.

Onto the second task of the weekend! My birthday girl is turning two and she is a girly girl to the max! She likes princesses and dressing up, so I settled on a Storybook Princess theme for her. While I would love to go totally crazy with her party I decided to keep it (relatively) simple. We are doing hot dogs and burgers on the grill, which is great because my husband, Tony, can handle that. One thing off my list! My wonderful mother graciously offered to help out providing side dishes to go with lunch. Awesome! I am the creative one so decorations are on me of course, which means that my overachiever streak tends to rear it's ugly head right about now... I'm also cheap, which means I would rather make my own decorations and risk hair-pulling-out instead of just going to a party store to buy things. I managed to settle on pink tissue paper pom-poms to hang from the ceiling, a few balloons and a cardboard castle. I got this genius idea from The Busy Budgeting Mama, she's my kind of lady! For my little princess, I used my giant cupcake pan plus a few regular size cupcakes to make simple pink and purple cupcakes.


(from left) Andrew, Lilly Bits and Tony checking out the castle


 

No comments:

Post a Comment