Monday, November 11, 2013

War Time and Cake! A Veterans Day Celebration

I grew up in a military family. It wasn't until I got older that I realized just how much the military has affected my life, and without it, I might not be here!

My (maternal) grandfather was in the Army Air Corp, before such a thing as the Air Force existed, and he flew during WWII. it was during this war time that he met my (maternal) grandmother, whom I believe was working as an Army nurse.


My (paternal) grandfather was in the Navy during the same time, and spent most of his time on ships.

My father tried to enlist at an young age and was turned down due to being too young. Later on, he tried again, only to be told this time that he was now too old! Sometimes, you just can't win.


Capt. Frank L. Lash, US Army Air Corp

My husband also grew up in the military, with military values. His father came over from the Philipines and joined the Navy. Following his footsteps, my husband enlisted right out of high school.


I'm sure our son will make the same decision when his time comes, but until then, we will continue to enstill the values we were taught in our youth and hope that our children respect our veterans as we do.

In celebration of this day, and in remembrance of the men and women who have served our country so bravely, I offer this chocolate cake recipe from back during war times when ration stamps were in play and some ingrediants were very hard to come by, especially sugar!

WAR TIME CHOCOLATE CAKE
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon white vinegar
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cold water

Directions:
In large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.
Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan.
Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly

This recipe brought to you by Dyingforchocolate.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment