Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beamer!



Recently, a co-worker of mine requested a cake for her grandson's 6th birthday. Like all boys around that age (my 3 year old included!) he is obsessed with the Disney movie "Cars". Knowing that I had made a Lightning McQueen cake for my son's birthday last year, she commissioned my cake making skills in another car confection. At the time of my son's birthday, I will say I was pleased with how the car cake turned out. To make my life easier, and partially due to a time crunch, I decided to forgo making cake wheels and used oreos instead. Of course, because he's my kid, he decided to sneak-eat one of the oreo 'wheels' the morning of his party, before the guests arrived. I really couldn't get too angry about it though, as it was his cake and, well, he was 3. Below is the finished product of my very first attempted Lightning McQueen cake.
Everyone was impressed and I was proud of what I had accomplished. I must say though, almost half a year has passed since that cake, and I became known as the 'lady who does car cakes'. A friend of mine, Beth, got married back in June, and requested a Tow Mater truck cake for her finance's grooms cake. It turned out fantastic! I was absolutely in LOVE with this cake!
Now I had TWO car cakes under my belt! I was soon contacted by another bride to make a replica of her finance's truck. Feeling fairly confident in my abilities at this point, I say, "Sure! Send me some pictures and I'll make it happen!" My phone soon notifies me that I have a new message from her. I open the email and my screen floods with over 20 pictures of his truck. After sifting through the barrage of images, I selected 4 (with help from my car fanatic husband) that would be suitable to use as a guide. I was fairly pleased with how it turned out. It does, however, look a little skewed and wider than it should be realistically, but the cake had to feed 50 guests. So I had to make it work. Though, next to the leaning wedding cake that a family friend had made for her big day, my truck grooms cake looked flawless! In the midst of trying to set it up at the reception and put on the finishing touches, I did blank out and forget to take pictures. Blonde moment! I enlisted the help of my brother, who got a few (if not so stellar) shots of the truck.
Last but most certainly not least, the second Lightning McQueen cake, of which I was very pleased with the results.


I guess I have officially found my unique cake-making nitche!

No comments:

Post a Comment