Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Behind the Scenes - Spiderman


Let's start with everybody's favorite spider! Spider-man is my favorite by default really. I'm not a fan of spiders in general, but I digress.

This cake was relatively easy as far as cake designs go. The vanilla cake iced in my swiss meringue buttercream, then covered in light blue fondant. Then came the artistry. Using an image I found online as a reference, I created a semi 3-D Spider man mask to top the cake. To give the mask some depth, I used a layering technique with the fondant and imprinted lines for the "webbing". To bring out the details even more, I used some black icing color thinned with vodka to paint the previously imprinted lines. 


Then the whole thing got added to the cake. 

Next I used a wax paper transfer method I learned from the brilliant Jessica Harris in her Craftsy class. If you haven't discovered her or her techniques, you need to do yourself a favor and check her out now!


For the finishing touches, I added a fondant spider and a message for the birthday boy to the spidey themed cake base. 

No comments:

Post a Comment