Thursday, November 7, 2013

Something borrowed, Something... Blue!


While most people are making Halloween plans around the end of the month of October, I was busy making cake!

I had a wedding cake due the week before Halloween, on the 24th, and it was not a traditional wedding in the least. First, the bride had requested a sheet cake. Only a sheet cake. Now, sheet cakes are not new to weddings, but they are usually done along with a more traditional cake, in order to serve more guests, but cost cost down. I've not done a wedding where the sheet cake was done in lieu of the wedding cake. Well, upon further planning, my bride decided that her cake topper would look silly on a sheet cake. A point I have to agree with! So, we decided to go vertical, and add a small tier on top for a 2 tier stacked look. It was for a small wedding, only about 50 guests, so we setted on a 10 inch square bottom tier and an 8 inch square top tier.

She had a very simple vision for her cake. Just blue roses. Royal blue roses. Nothing else. So, I put together a bunch of royal blue, gumpaste roses and made bouquets (complete with leaves). I decided on a more modern, clean, look with a simple bead border, as I feared a shell border would be too fussy for her. Iced smooth, stacked and flowers positioned, here's my end result. I would like to mention that the delivery drive over was bumpy, as I had to cross a couple sets of train tracks, and some of the flowers shifted in transport, causing a few flaws on the buttercream icing.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment